• About Heaven
• Guide to Heaven
• ABC's of Salvation
• Bible Study Tips
• Invite Your Friends
• About Us
• Contact Us
BIBLE STUDY TIPS
In order to benefit and become empowered by the Word of God, we must know the principles that will unlock the mysteries to us personally. Here they are:
- Always pray before you study the Bible.
- Be sincerely open to the guidance of the Holy Spirit. Otherwise, we will twist scripture to suit our own ideas.
- Don't come to the Bible to prove your theories. Set aside your opinions as you study.
- Ask God for a teachable, humble attitude. Be willing to learn. Understanding God's word has more to do with your attitude than with your intellect.
- If God says something plainly in the Bible, don't ask Him to tell you something different because you don't like what you read.
- On any controversial subject - study out both sides. Take the weight of evidence from the whole Bible, not just obscure texts.
- When you come to a difficult text, don't make it say what you want it to say. Read other scriptures on the same topic. That's how the Bible interprets itself.
- Consider the context as you study. Read the whole passage.
- Use variety of versions and translations so you can make sure what the text is saying.
- Beware of notes in your Bible. They are not inspired, but were written by man. Test them against the Bible.
- Beware of commentaries and encyclopedias. They are sometimes good for reference, but again, they are not inspired. Don't mold your beliefs from commentaries.
- Don't settle for a final answer from any pastor, priest, denomination, church history, or tradition. Let God have the final word.
- In studying with others, insist on the Bible as the final authority; don't depend on human interpretation.
- Remember, the majority can be wrong. In fact, they often are!
- Don't waste time studying with argumentative, pushy people who try to prove their answers by raising their voices. Beware of deceptions and false doctrines.
- Probe deeply into the treasure house of truth. Ask deep questions and search diligently for the answers.
- As you discover truth, walk in the light so that it does not turn into darkness. Be willing to accept truth no matter what the cost.
- Hide God's Word in your heart so you will not sin against Him.
- Whatever you believe should make you a more loving, devoted Christian.
- Study, study, study--not just for knowledge but for transforming power.
- Remember, no one can know the truth until they invest the time and effort to study the Bible.
- The only way to counter deception is through the knowledge of the Bible truth.
- Expect the Bible to change your attitudes and mold your beliefs.
- Spiritual things are spiritually discerned. If you are having trouble understanding the Bible, ask God for wisdom.
- Keep your mind clear by avoiding harmful substances and mind-numbing behaviors, so you can think clearly as you study.
- Trust in God. He will teach you the truth. You can understand the Bible.
Jesus is coming soon!
Pastors, Bible teachers and church leaders: Click here for an important message
Would you like prayer for a special need?
Parable: You've Won a Million Dollars!